Not planning on seeing Dark Knight Rises this weekend.
I am the biggest fan of Batman I know.
But do you know what I'm an even bigger fan of?
Not standing in line when it is 108 degrees out.
And no, I don't want to see a midnight showing either. I've got work tomorrow.
Here is a short list of things I have stood in line for over the years:
- Episode I
- Episode II
- Not Episode III (I had learned my lesson by this point)
- A PlayStation 2 (actually Brad did the bulk of the standing in line on that one)
- A Wii (which I did not get; I was the third or fourth guy in line but all but 2 of them came in damaged; I later purchased one just randomly walking into the same store and asking if they had any, no line required)
- Bruce Campbell's autograph
- All three Lord of the Rings movies
- The Avengers
Now, don't get me wrong. I had fun all those times. (Even the Star Wars ones.) I can see the appeal of standing in line with a bunch of nerds with similar interests. It is a conversation starter. Sometimes it's almost like a party. (Not a very good party, but, you know, one of those parties where people show up in costume and there's no beer or music.)
So, you know, it was fun to do a few times. But I think there are lots of other fun things to do in Tempe in the summer. Like sit in my air-conditioned house and play video games.
I'll catch DKR -- maybe next weekend, more likely the weekend after. Do it up right, see at at the IMAX.
But I'll wait until there are no lines.